Sunday, September 9, 2007

New Jersey and Koolickle Weekend


So did the title get your attention? Hehe. I'll tell you about Koolickles in a minute. I was in Moorestown, NJ yesterday to visit our Boscov's store. We're setting up our fall prototype for what all of our stores should look like for the season. I had to go out so I could get a better idea of what their floorplan is like so we can can come up with a good layout. I wasn't thrilled about having to spend my Saturday doing something for work, so I decided to make it fun and take the scenic route. I headed south from Reading on Rt.10 until I got to Honey Brook, which is a little town in the middle of cornfields. Then I picked up 322E and pretty much followed that the whole way to the NJ Turnpike. On my way I spied a few interesting places to stop on my way back. Wally's Wiener World was high on that list. And apparently I'm not the only person who thought it was fun! http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g52728-d614953-r5773990-Wally_s_Weiner_World-Glen_Mills_Pennsylvania.html
There were also tons of roadside produce stands, but seeing as it was 94 degrees outside and I didn't think to bring a cooler, I didn't want to drag fresh produce around 'til I got home. All in all, it was a pleasant drive and I got to see more of the diverse state of Pennsylvania. There is a unique feel to the landscape in Chester county. Some areas just seem too picturesque to be real. I got the impression that humans could ever really stamp their will over nature in that area.
So after my trip I got home and watched the Feasting on Asphalt marathon. Which brings me to my next subject. Koolickles are a regional item in the Mississippi delta. What are they? Well, the "Kool" is from Kool-Aid, the "ickle" is from pickle. Get the picture? Basically you take a jar of dill pickles, mix the brine with Kool-Aid (cherry flavor seems to be popular) and sugar and let it sit in the fridge for a week or so until the pickle takes on a bright red color. Of course, after seeing something so bizarre, I had to try making it myself since I doubt I'll be in MS anytime soon. They're in the fridge right now, so next week I will report on the experience of consuming a Koolickle!

No comments: