Monday, November 5, 2007

Nature Girl



I have been lucky enough to spend some time in Nolde State Forest the last few weekends. I live next door to it since I moved to Berks County and the weather finally cooled off to the point that I can enjoy it. (I am a bug magnet and get eaten alive if I go into the woods in the summer) My favorite hike is along the Watershed Trail. I find the sounds of the stream to be soothing and conducive to meditation. I usually take along a notebook and do a bit of writing here and there along the way. The trail starts off realtively level at the bottom af the mountain and slowly works its way up over the ridge follwing the stream until you get to the actual watershed. Somethin interesting I discovered at the end of the trail is what looks like an old root cellar or storage room. I couldn't see too far back into the opening, but it looked like it was about 10 feet square with stacked stone walls. There was a mound over it that curved into a sort of crescent shape as well. I usually spend at least 3 hours wandering the trails and stopping to write now and then. And by the time I get home I am usually starving and I cook up a big batch of stew or soup or throw a roast into the oven. To me that is just about as perfect of a day as you can get.

1 comment:

LoupGarou said...

Cool pictures. It's too darn cold here to enjoy the outdoors. I sure do miss PA sometimes.

Bet you are getting all stoked up for the food thing this coming weekend. :)